Blog Description

Weekly Posts Concerning my Sabbatical Research and Writing Project


Monday, August 20, 2012

Welcome to my new Sabbatical Project blog.  I plan to update my progress on the research and writing of my book.  I am writing a history of Lawyer Canyon from the canyon's perspective.  In other words the voice of the manuscript will be the Canyon.  Most histories of place and environmental histories are document focused and have a science kind of voice.  I want to have a mythic voice in this manuscript.  I will attempt to merge science and myth, document history and oral history, to engage in serious historical non-fiction, while allowing the "truth embedded in myth" in Joseph Cambell's definition, to guide the metaphors of the text.  We will see?

2 comments:

  1. Have fun and be safe. We will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! I'm going to love reading this. What a wonderful take on the canyon and a great idea. I love Joseph Campbell. Glad to see you are "following your bliss".

    ReplyDelete